The Center for Public Accountability and Social Well-Being (CPASW) has called on security agencies and the Lagos State Government to urgently intervene in what it described as escalating violence and alleged attacks on the Ojaekomo Family and its development partner, Shaffykay & Co. Property Limited, over land allocated by the Lagos State Government in Sapata Village, Eti-Osa Local Government Area.
The group, which spoke on behalf of the Ojaekomo Family, alleged that the disputed property had been repeatedly attacked in the past week by persons allegedly acting on the instructions of Bashiru Fakorede.
According to the organisation, members of the Ojaekomo Family and Shaffykay & Co. had also been arrested and detained on what it described as “trumped-up” allegations involving firearms.
The group alleged that on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, individuals it identified as Fakorede’s associates invaded the property alongside some police officers from the Special Enforcement Bureau (SEB) of the Lagos State Police Command and arrested members of the family.
It further alleged that firearms were subsequently produced at the police command and attributed to the arrested persons, but said the allegation was challenged following the intervention of a senior police officer familiar with Fakorede’s alleged antecedents.
The organisation also alleged that on Saturday, August 15, Fakorede’s associates attacked the property and demolished buildings belonging to the Ojaekomo Family.
“These acts targeted at the security of lives and property, and the disregard for governmental authority, are condemnable,” the group said, urging the police and Lagos State Government to take immediate steps to restore law and order.
The CPASW also raised concerns over what it described as alleged attempts to use police intervention to undermine existing governmental decisions concerning the property.
It disputed claims in a purported statement that the land allocated to the Ojaekomo Family by the Lagos State Government had been vacated by a judgment of the Lagos State High Court.
The organisation argued that the court proceedings cited did not invalidate the original Lagos State allocation, adding that the Ojaekomo Family had appealed a ruling affecting the parties' interests and had filed an application for a stay of execution.
Citing previous judicial decisions, including Ezenwo v. Festus (No. 1) and Ezegbu v. F.A.T.B., the group maintained that parties involved in litigation should not take actions capable of frustrating the court's jurisdiction while applications relating to the execution of judgments are pending.
The organisation said it had also received information suggesting that violence around the property could escalate further, potentially resulting in loss of lives.
“Because of the seriousness of this information, the Ojaekomo Family are crying for help,” it said, adding that the information had been forwarded to relevant security authorities.
The CPASW called on the Inspector-General of Police, Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Commandant-General of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Lagos State Governor, Attorney-General of Lagos State and other relevant agencies to act immediately.
It specifically demanded adequate security around the disputed property to protect lives and prevent further destruction of property.
The group also called for an investigation into the alleged forcible entry, destruction of buildings, intimidation and mobilisation of persons onto the property.
It further demanded an investigation into the alleged withdrawal of security personnel previously deployed to maintain peace in the area and the circumstances surrounding their subsequent deployment.
The organisation also urged security agencies to investigate the activities and alleged role of Fakorede and other individuals involved in the dispute, particularly where their actions could threaten public peace.
The group stressed that the Ojaekomo Family was not opposed to litigation and would continue to pursue its rights through lawful channels.
“The Ojaekomo Family is not afraid of litigation. It is already participating in litigation. It will obey lawful orders of the courts,” the organisation said.
It added that the family was prepared to submit its documents to government agencies and present evidence to the police where necessary.
“What it will not quietly accept is any attempt to replace the rule of law with intimidation or force,” it said.
The organisation maintained that the Lagos State Government had made documented decisions concerning the land and that the affected interests had also been involved in proceedings before the Lagos State House of Assembly.
It argued that anyone challenging the government's actions should use the legal mechanisms available under Nigerian law rather than resort to force.
“What Nigerian law does not provide is a private right to seize land by force,” the group said.
The organisation urged the security agencies to take preventive action before the situation deteriorates further.
“The time for preventive action is now,” it said, calling for immediate steps to prevent further violence and ensure that the dispute is resolved within the framework of the law.

